5 Fun Facts about Tennis and Health
- People who participate in tennis three hours per week (at moderately vigorous intensity) cut their risk of death in half from any cause, according to physician Ralph Paffenbarger of Harvard University School of Public Health. (Paffenbarger not only studied over 10,000 people over a period of 20 years in his landmark ‘College Alumni Health Study’, but also finished over 150 marathons over the age of 45.)
- Tennis players scored higher in vigor, optimism and self-esteem while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension than other athletes or non-athletes, according to Dr. Joan Finn and colleagues in a study done at Southern Connecticut State University.
- Since tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves in the brain and thus promote a lifetime of continuing development of the brain, reported scientists at the University of Illinois.
- Tennis outperforms golf, inline skating and most other sports in developing positive personality characteristics, according to Dr. Jim Gavin — author of The Exercise Habit.
- Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics, inline skating, or cycling, according to studies on caloric expenditures.
I have been an active tennis player since I was 8 years old. Like many articles have said in my research tennis is not just a sport it incorporates mind, body and decision-making. The health benefits shown above directly reflect what I have found through playing tennis for multiple years.
I have played both recreationally and competitively throughout my life. At one point I was playing tennis 5x per week for 3 hours a day. This may sound like a lot or even too much tennis, but I was active and healthy both in my mind and body.
The health benefits of playing tennis are exponential, and as the studies have shown above, it is an excellent thing to add to your weekly health regimen.
We are lucky at the Aspen Club & Spa to have 5 beautiful hard surface tennis courts that are outdoors at the base of Aspen Mountain (aka Ajax).
The Aspen Club offers both Private Tennis Lessons and Open Tennis Play
Private Tennis Rates
|Package of 10 Privates||$850||$1050|
*Each Pro books their own lessons and reserves the court.
Open Play Rates (Court Fees 90min)
|Tennis Member||$0||3 days in advance|
|Club Member||$15||Same Day Only|
|Guest Pass/Frias/NofN/Gant||$25||Same Day Only|
|Public||$75||Same Day Only|
|Ball Machine||Included in Court Rental|
Contact us to reserve your court time now!